Thank you to the very talented artist and blogger Sandy Ramsey for nominating me for a Liebster Award! It is truly the greatest compliment I can get when I hear that I have made a reader laugh and cry, and that is why Sandy nominated me. So thank you Sandy and happy Thanksgiving!
Check out the beautiful plate I ordered from Sandy’s Etsy shop, Nix Heart. I loved it so much that I got one for my dad and one for me.
Here is what Sandy wants to know about me.
1. Give me one word that describes you from your own point of view.
Decisive. When it comes to big decisions, ranging from signing my college acceptance letter to signing my divorce papers, I don’t look back. I usually believe that there are multiple choices that I could make that could make me happy, so it makes life easier to tell myself that I made my best decision with the information I had at the time.
2. What is the gutsiest thing you’ve ever done?
This one is easy: getting divorced. It was scary as hell. It challenged all of my beliefs and values about love and marriage. I truly never, ever thought I would get divorced, but I finally had the courage to admit that I had to. As I have often said, life is (hopefully) too LONG to be unhappy.
3. Who has impacted you greatly but has no idea?
What a great question. My second grade teacher is the first person who comes to mind. He had a Montessori approach to teaching, which was perfect for a student like me. He gave us space to explore and learn in ways that suited us. I still remember that at the end of the year, he gave me a journal and told me to keep writing. He got sick the year I had him with what they told us was cancer. When I was in fourth grade, he died, and that was my first experience with death. I later learned that he died of AIDS, which he contracted as a volunteer in Kenya with the Peace Corps in the late 1970s. When I think of him, I think of his encouragement of my writing, and that he (unintentionally) made the ultimate sacrifice due to his commitment to serving others. He is a big reason why community service is such an important part of who I am.
4. If you could have dinner with any three people, living or dead, who would they be?
Martin Luther King Jr., Cher, and Hillary Clinton.
5. What do you like on your pizza?
|She's totally scary!|
If it’s a really good pizza, just plain. Otherwise, any veggie except olives. I super love pizza and I super hate olives.
6. Do you have an irrational fear from your childhood?
No. I think it’s completely rational that I’m still concerned that the evil queen from Snow White resides under my bed.
7. What is the one thing you use most in your house?
My dishwasher. I do wait until it’s full to run it, but how I love to run the dishwasher. It’s my favorite appliance.
8. Miley. Smart cookie or doing a Britney/Lilo/Amanda?
Britney/Lilo/Amanda all had legitimate psychological problems. Miley is just an irritating twit.
9. Have you ever bought something from an infomercial or and As Seen On TV item? If so, what?
Nope, but my former mother-in-law bought every gift she ever gave me from QVC.
10. What are you most proud of?
I think I’m a good friend. I have friends from elementary school, college, work, and other random connections. For all that I can be a chatterbox, I can be a good listener and I’m careful to not judge others. This is probably why my friends are so awesome.
11. Who would play you in a movie about your life?
HA! That would be one boring movie. Maybe Drew Barrymore could make me interesting.
Now the Liebster Award says I have to give you 11 random facts about me, so here goes:
1. Snakes terrify me but I find hamsters precious.
2. My weekend breakfast has been coffee, a bagel, and eggs while watching Beverly Hills 90210 reruns for a decade+.
3. I have seen Cher, Kelly Clarkson, Madonna, and Face to Face in concert multiple times. I would see any of them again.
4. At this moment, there are 6 pillows on my bed, 3 for decoration and 3 for sleeping.
5. I don't have cable anymore and I don't miss it.
6. I don't eat meat and I don't miss it (but, oddly, the smell of bacon is still appealing).
7. I rediscovered the public library 3 years ago. I'm a huge fan.
8. I hate vacuuming but I kind of like dusting.
9. I wanted to be a mermaid or a writer when I grew up. Close enough!
10. I swam with dolphins in Cancun this month, so I can officially check that off my bucket list.
11. I am the middle child and the aunt of two nephews and one niece.
Now I get to nominate some great bloggers! The Liebster Rules say I’m supposed to nominate 11 bloggers but I need to go to bed soon, so here’s my list of not 11:
- Surviving Limbo
- Confessions of a Serial Dater in LA
- Sex Lies and Bacon
- Life After Divorce
- Starting Over As Ms
- A State of Motion
- The Red Head Bed Head
Darling bloggers, will you please answer these questions?
1. What movie do you own on DVD (or VHS?!) but you’ll still watch it if you find it on TV?
2. Did you want to have children when you grew up? Do you have them now?
3. Who was the first person you said “I love you” to?
4. How would you describe the way your home is decorated?
5. What was your most significant travel experience?
6. When you think back on losing your virginity, how do you feel about it now?
7. Other than the Liebster Award, have you ever won an award?
8. What is your greatest character flaw?
9. What book did you have to read for school and you ended up loving?
10. What was the last movie you saw in the theater?
11. Disney World: awesome or creepy?
Who are some bloggers you love?